These summarized excerpts are from the EGLE document:  Aquatic Nuisance Control Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) which can be accessed at

  • Do I need a permit to control aquatic vegetation on my property?
    • Permits required for
      • Chemical control of nuisance aquatic species–permit required from EGLE’s ANC Program
      • Larger scale removal of plants–permit required from EGLE’s Water Resources Division (WRD)
      • Physical control measures, such as benthic barriers, weed rollers, or lake draw-down– permit required from EGLE’s Water Resources Division (WRD)
      • Bacterial Augmentation and Biological Control–contact EGLE’s Water Resources Division (WRD). 
    • Permits not required for
      • Mechanical harvesting (i.e., cutting plants above the lake bottom with no soil disturbance).
      • Inconsequential or insignificant vegetation removal done by hand (e.g., hand pulling, raking a few plants)
      • Small scale removal of plants that are an aquatic nuisance if the removal is accomplished by hand-pulling (i.e., without the use of a powered or mechanized tool) and all plant fragments are removed from the water and properly disposed of on land
  • What happens if I treat without a permit or violate my permit?
    • Violations and permit violations are subject to compliance action, civil action, and criminal enforcement
  • How can I find information about permit applications and permits submitted for a specific waterbody?
  • Can I prevent my neighbor from putting aquatic pesticides in my lake?
    • You generally cannot prevent your neighbor from treating his/her property under a valid ANC permit. In Michigan, waterfront property owners typically have authority over the bottomlands in wedge shape out to the center point or thread of the lake or stream, respectively.

Recommended Posts