Swimmer’s itch is an allergic reaction to microscopic parasites that burrow into the skin.  This rash will clear up in a few days after contracting it. The cause is parasites that live in the blood of waterfowl and in animals that live near ponds and lakes such as geese, ducks, swans, beavers and muskrats. 

How to avoid??

Don’t feed the waterfowl or animals. The parasite eggs are returned to the water in the feces thereby repeating the life cycle.

Towel off aggressively after each swim and shower soon after.

Protect your skin with sunblock.  This creates a barrier to prevent the parasites.

Do NOT sweep feces from waterfowl into the lake.

Recommended Posts